Sunday, November 6, 2011

'Tis the season....Deer Jerky!



Getting a start on the 2011 deer jerky making season! Here ar the tools of the trade...bowl of meat mixture, jerky extruder, and dehydrator. I prefer ground meat for my jerky...its easier to chew on. And my seasonings are no secret...I use Oster Seasoning packets plus a few of my own "additions". This batch of 1 lb. deer meat and 1 lb. 73% lean hamburger has a 1/4 cup of pineapple-teryaki sesame seed marinate (store bought) and 1/8 cup soy sauce. Sometimes I even make up my own seasoning mix using Morton's Tender Quick salt and some spices...it always turns out good.


I usually use 1/2 & 1/2 mix of deer & beef, makes for a nice lean jerky. I need some more fruit leather liners, so since I was short I piped a tray of deer sticks instead. 24 to 48 hours later and you have a great snack. A buddy of mine got me a bunch of deer meat, so I'll be making several batches this season


No comments:

Post a Comment