Tuesday, August 31, 2010


US

This is my attempt at artwork which I've entitled "US". It started last summer when Nanc cut a twining vine off our pear tree in the backyard. For some unknown reason, a piece of that lay on the ground for a year until this last week. It got picked up and put with the firewood for our chimnea. Just as I picked it up to throw into the fire, it struck me...here might be a piece of art in the making. So, like the immortal words of Len Tuckwilla on the Saturday Night Live skit, I "rubbed it till it was smooth and oiled it till it was dark". I looked thru my firebox again and found a nice chunk of seasoned pear wood that I stripped the bark off of and joined the 2 pieces together...viola' , art! The pictures don't do it justice...it has a deep walnut stained color and a high gloss finish that reveals all the differing traits of the wood. For a closer look at the piece, come by and visit!

1 comment: